Sunday, August 17, 2014

Chocolate Drop...

Although I like all sorts of colors, I tend to wear neutrals such as black, white, tan, gray, etc. I usually reserve the bright colors for my shoes or lipstick. My mom likes colorful clothing and bought me a pretty bright lemon yellow short-sleeve dress. It sat in my closet for at least a year. Today while getting ready for church I decided to rip the tag off and wear the dress with some exotic print stiletto pumps. I felt weird at first because it was SO bright but had nothing else that I could just throw on at the second.
My husband gave me the biggest compliment! He compliments me anyway but he did do a double-take when I walked into the room with the yellow on. At church some of the women there also gave me compliments about the color. I also want to mention that wearing vivid colors actually does brighten up your mood.

Every month my church serves ice cream and cake for the members who celebrate their birthday or wedding anniversary in that month. After service I indulged in the cake with chocolate ice cream. (My favorite!)
When I neared my last spoonful of ice cream, a tiny speck dropped right on the front of my dress! I tried to scrape it off as quickly as I could but it had already seeped into the yellow fabric. I went and dabbed the spot with water.

Upon getting home and changing out of my church clothes I read on the label that it was dry clean only but I did not want to let the spot set and leave a permanent stain. I went online to find remedies for chocolate ice cream stains. Many sites listed various products but I was hoping to find something that would utilize what I already had at home.

Any way I decided to try this one for non-washable fabric:

1. Blot spot with rubbing alcohol and let set for ten minutes
2. Rinse the area with cold water.
3. Mix one tablespoon of mild detergent with two cups of water and apply to stain by blotting the area to absorb the stain. (I noticed that blotting did not get it all out so I used a washcloth to scrub it)
4. Rinse with cold water. (Note: It ALL came out and did not discolor the fabric so I did not need the next step 5.)
5. Use hydrogen peroxide and ammonia if the stain remains. Apply peroxide to the stain with an eyedropper and then blot the stain. Then apply ammonia to the stain with an eyedropper and continue to blot the stain. Flush the stain with water and blot the area to remove excess liquid.


Anyway I was so happy to be able to get the chocolate stain out of the dress and I can put it in the cleaners and wear it again!

1 comment: